A DigitalOcean Floating IP is a publicly-accessible static IP address that can be assigned to one of your Droplets, where it will route its traffic to. A Floating IP can also be instantly remapped, via the DigitalOcean Control Panel or API, to one of your other Droplets in the same datacenter
Assigning Your First Floating IP On DigitalOcean
1, First, go to the Digital Ocean Control Panel.
2, Click on the Networking link (top navigation menu),
3, Then Floating IPs in the side menu. The first time you visit the page, you will see a page that says you have no Floating IPs but you can create one:
4, Create a Floating IP by selecting one of your Droplets and clicking the Assign Floating IP button.
5,Now you can simply select a particular datacenter from the list.
Note that Floating IPs are a free service, as long as they are assigned to a Droplet. Unassigned Floating IPs incur a small cost, which is listed in the Control Panel.
Viewing Your Floating IPs On DigitalOcean
In the Floating IPs page, a few moments after assigning a Floating IP, you see a new Floating IP that points to the Droplet that you selected:
If you have at least one Floating IP, this page will display a list of your Floating IPs, which includes the following details about each entry:
- Address: The Floating IP address, which is how it can be accessed in a web browser
- Datacenter: The datacenter in which the Floating IP was created.A Floating IP can only be assigned to Droplets within the same datacenter
- Droplet: The Droplet that the Floating IP is assigned to. Requests sent to the Floating IP address will be directed to this Droplet. This can also be set to “Unassigned”, which means the Floating IP is reserved but will not pass network traffic to any Droplet
Editing Your Floating IPs
In addition to the Floating IP information, the Floating IPs page also allows you to perform the following actions:
- Reassign (Blue Pen Button): Assign the Floating IP to a different Droplet, within the same datacenter. You may also unassign the Floating IP
- Delete (Red X Button): Release the Floating IP from your account
If you want to quickly assign your Floating IP to a different Droplet, simply click the Reassign button then select your desired Droplet. After a few moments, the Floating IP information will be updated and its traffic will be routed accordingly.